At first, the keto diet is perceived as another short-lived trend, stars and fitness bloggers indulge in, but the hype around keto does not go away to this day. Bronecoffee (coffee and butter) appears in coffee shops, people conduct specialized keto blogs, and the avocado fetish is gradually taking over the world. How does the keto diet work? Let’s go in order.
What is the Keto Diet anyway?
A keto diet is a type of diet in which a person consumes a minimum of protein, a moderate amount of protein and a large amount of fat. On a diet, they lose weight due to ketosis – a special state of the body. The almost complete absence of hunger in food and the resulting carbohydrate cells develop into ketosis.
On a keto diet, you don’t need to count calories and limit yourself in quantity. It is only important to monitor proteins, proteins and proteins (20%, 75% and 5%, respectively).
The cages are adhered to by athletes, run long distances, engage in triathlon, there are sports that require serious endurance. It sounds simple and effective enough, but let’s not forget that pitfalls are everywhere.
Pros and cons of Keto Diet
About whether to try a ketogenic diet, we talked with Marina Dokuchaeva, an eating disorder expert, psychologist, founder of the V.I. A. Adler.
What are the main pros and cons of a keto diet?
• Rapid weight loss.
• There is no constant feeling of hunger, as with other diets.
• Fats are burned in the body, and muscle mass is preserved.
• Jumps in sugar and insulin are excluded, since the diet is completely carbohydrate-free.
• When you completely eliminate carbohydrates, you lose a huge number of nutrients for the body.
• You may be prone to constipation. For the organs of the gastrointestinal tract, eating only fats and proteins is stress.
• There may be an acetone odor from the body, urine, and mouth.
• This is a short term diet. I recommend using it in an emergency.
In any case, you should consult your therapist before dieting.
Who can benefit from this type of food, and who can it harm?
• absolutely healthy people with a request for fast weight loss in a short time;
• people with type 2 diabetes, but only under medical supervision.
• pregnant women;
• people with the first type of diabetes mellitus;
• people with problems in the thyroid gland;
• people with problems of the gastrointestinal tract.
Questions and answers
– Is it really possible to lose weight on a keto diet?
– This is possible since it is completely carbohydrate-free. A person goes on this diet, and the body needs to find a source of energy, because carbohydrates are no longer supplied. This triggers an amazing process – ketosis – a state in which the body begins to break down its own fats and form a large number of ketone bodies. When this process begins, fats begin to break down quickly, fat mass quickly goes away, and muscle mass remains.
The main sign of starting ketosis is that people have the smell of acetone from the mouth, sweat and urine. During this period, you need water (at least 2 liters). This is to ensure that the ketone bodies are excreted through the kidneys in the urine.
– Is there a time limit on how much you can stick to this type of food?
– The duration of the diet depends on the person himself and his performance. Everything is individual. It is necessary to be observed by a doctor during this period and be under control.
– How can a person deal with serious dietary restrictions psychologically? How not to get frustrated and negotiate with your brain and body?
– In this diet there will be no problems with psychological stress, since it completely eliminates the feeling of hunger, but if we are talking about other diets, then motivation is important.
I can recommend the following:
• Hang a photo of yourself / famous with the body you are striving for on the refrigerator.
• Measure your weight and body volume regularly to see how you are changing during the diet. A person sees that there are changes in centimeters and this pushes him to more work and faith in himself.
• As soon as you really want to eat, undress in front of the mirror and carefully examine yourself. You see all the flaws that you want to get rid of. You will feel better immediately.
• When you go on a diet, find a pleasure alternative to food. You need to think about what is in life that can give you joy instead of food. Everyone has their own way and everything is individual.
For example, someone is painting, dancing, or having sex. These are all things that can give you great pleasure so that you do not switch to food and do not get lost.