On a ketogenic diet, you can eat and drink tasty, satisfying and varied. Here is a list of allowed keto foods: What to eat on Keto Diet?
WHAT TO EAT
- Meat: beef, pork, lamb, poultry. Fatter is better, and the bird can be eaten directly with the skin.
- Fish and seafood. Again, it is better to choose more fatty fish (sardines, salmon).
- Eggs: chicken, quail, and even ostrich
- Oils: butter, olive, coconut, avocado oil, melted pork / duck fat. You can eat sunflower or other seed oils without affecting the ketogenicity of your diet. But they don’t behave very well when frying and contribute to inflammation.
- Greens: spinach, lettuce, kale, asparagus, broccoli, celery.
- Vegetables growing above the ground: cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, cabbage, zucchini, eggplant
- Sour milk products, whole, not fat-free: cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, curd cheese, yogurt (yes, you can eat sour milk on keto)
- Nuts & Seeds: Macadamia, Pecan, Walnut, Brazilian Nut, Coconut, Almond, Hazelnut
- Seeds: chia and flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds.
- Some beans: peanuts, green beans
WHAT TO DRINK
- Water. Plenty of water.
- Tea. Black green.
- Coffee and tea can be drunk with cream
WHAT TO DRINK. ALKOHOL
The topic of alcohol is burning. So let’s not delay. Lowest carb options:
- Vodka, whiskey, brandy, tequila, dry martini.
- Champagne brut
- Dry red and white wine
WHAT TO EAT AND DRINK, BUT ONLY A LITTLE
These foods can be eaten, but better after keto adaptation and in limited quantities:
- Berries. But be sure to count the amount of carbohydrates. Better to eat no more than one handful per day.
- Carrots, onions, garlic. It is better not to eat it whole, but as a small addition to soup or salad is fine.
- Milk. It contains a lot of lactose, milk sugar. So drink very small amounts like cappuccino.
WHAT TO SWEETE
Better, of course, nothing, since sweeteners do not let you get out of the habit of sweets. But if you really ask …
- Erythritol is the best choice for the keto diet. Unlike aspartame, its potentially harmful effects on gut microflora are not yet known, but it is not without calories.
- Xylitol. It is also a good choice, and it is even slightly useful for the teeth. But be careful if you have a dog – it can poison it.
- Stevia. This organic sweetener is very popular. But many people are annoyed by its aftertaste, so don’t buy it – try it first.
Common words of parting words
If you are on a ketogenic diet, then, for example, onions, garlic and carrots are not prohibited, but they should not be used as the basis of food. They are still high in carbs, but they are usually used as a condiment or supplement. It’s the same with alcohol.